Recurring Deposit (RD) is a savings option offered by banks in India that helps in planning your future. People with regular income can make a financial provision for their future by investing a certain amount of their income in a recurring deposit every month & earn rate of interest on those investments (as high as fixed deposits). The lumpsum amount (including accumulated interest and the principal) is paid back once your deposit matures.
Features of RD
Let’s look at some of the features of RD. Here:
- It aims to inculcate a regular habit of saving amongst the public.
- You can start RD with as low as Rs. 10. This varies from bank to bank.
- The minimum period of deposit starts at 6 months and the maximum is 10 years.
- The rate of interest equalizes to that of fixed deposit which is higher as compared to another savings scheme offered.
- No pre-mature or midterm withdrawals are allowed. Though, the bank may close down the account before the maturity period with a ‘penalty’ for pre-mature withdrawal.
- You can get an additional benefit of using the deposit as collateral for taking a loan.
- RD can be funded periodically directly from your current or savings account through standing instructions given by you to the bank.
Factors to considered before opening RD:
Recurring Deposit provides a high rate of interest to provide investors with the good earning on their investments. But, the investor must choose the suitable RD scheme. Therefore, consider the following factors before selecting the appropriate RD scheme:
- RD Interest Rates: Bank offers a high rate of interest on RD schemes. It varies from the deposit tenure, bank, and amount. For short tenure RD rates are similar to that of savings account, but, if you are opting for the longer term, you might get a high rate of interest. Also, for senior citizens banks provide the additional rate of interest. Try to compare and check interest rates for different banks just to earn higher returns.
- RD Tenure: Whilst investing in RD, make sure to choose a recurring deposit with high-interest rate for the latest tenure.
- Liquidity: The majority of investors consider liquidity as one of the important factors whilst choosing the right RD scheme. Therefore, it’s important to look for the financial institution or bank which offers high-interest rate with the low pre-mature penalty.
- Eligibility for RD: Almost all Indian banks allow Indian residents, NRIs as well as HUF to put an account under their respective RD schemes. There are a few banks that even offer schemes for children (with guardians to take care of their finances). No matter which company or bank you invest with or the interest rate you receive on the RD, you can calculate the same with an RD calculator.
- Recurring Deposit for Senior Citizens: Senior Citizens (above the age of 60 years) are offered a more beneficial RD rate of interest. NOTE: It differs from bank-to-bank.
Invest in Mutual Funds For Better Returns
Investments in Mutual fund & Securities Market are subject to market risks. Please read the scheme information and other related documents carefully before investing. Past performance is not indicative of future returns. Please consider your specific investment requirements before choosing a fund or designing a portfolio that suits your needs. Terms and conditions of the website are applicable.
Gulaq Registered Office
Estee Financial Services Pvt. Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as “EFSPL”) Formerly Estee Commodities Pvt. Ltd ( hereinafter referred to as “ECPL”), 7th Floor, Block 1, Vatika Business Park, Sohna Road, Sector 49, Gurugram, Haryana 122001.
Estee Advisors Pvt Limited (hereinafter referred to as “EAPL”) is registered with the Securities and Exchange Board of India as Stock Broker with registration number INZ000170130 and registered with BSE Star with code 24408 for mutual fund transaction facility. EFSPL and EAPL are group companies and EAPL is authorized to provide its services to the Users on the Gulaq website/app under a Sub-distribution agreement with EFSPL.
Complaints & Grievances
In case of any grievances/ complaints please write to us [email protected]
Mutual fund investments are subject to market risks, read all scheme documents carefully.